Thursday, October 2, 2008

Children's Literature

I really enjoy Language Arts Methods, especially because of the wide variety of children's literature I have been introduced to.  There are so many interesting books out there that are easily incorporated across the curriculum.  I thought that I would share with you some of my favorites:
  • S is for Sunflower-I love this book because it makes the alphabet real world.  The illustrations are awesome, plus each letter is tied together with a Kansas theme.  The side panels also include the historical context.  This makes the book applicable to young and upper elementary students.
  • Cookies-I really enjoyed this book because it shows valuable life lessons in a language that younger students can understand and relate to.
  • The Story of Miss Agnes-I enjoyed this book as a future teacher because it gives great examples of effective teaching strategies.
  • Clementine-A children's chapter book that is similar to Frindle, but told from a girl's perspective.
These are only a few of my favorites!  There will definitely be more to come :)

10 comments:

Julia Fischer said...

You have a good blog. I like S is for Sunflower and The Year of Miss Agnes too. I have not read the other two books you mentioned, but they sound really good. I will have to check them out sometime. See you on Tues!

Anonymous said...

I like your idea of putting different books that you hope to use in your classroom as your blog. I have not read Clementine but I have it on order so hope to read it soon. I agree that the other three books are great books for students to read on their own or to use in lessons.

alyssam said...

I love the book S is for Sunflower. I think it is a great resource for teachers in Kansas. The students can learn about different events, objects, and themes from Kansas. Good choice.

Chelsey S said...

Allie,
I absolutely love Children's Literature so this blog is for me! These are some great book recommendations. I really like the book Cookies. It has great meaning behind it. You could easily incorporate any of these books into lesson plans and students would love them. Great blog!!

Brittany Christine said...

Allie I agree that all of those are wonderful books! I definitely enjoyed Frindle when I was in Children's Lit, so I'm sure Clementine is really good too! I'll have to check it out; thanks for the suggestion! Miss Agnes is truly a great example of an effective teacher, I enjoyed it as well!

Erika said...

Allie, I really like the list of books that you have. I liked those books as well. I look forward to reading your blog as you post more!!

Becky said...

I think that using children's literature is a great way to get students engaged in learning. I really enjoy the book Cookies. It was neat to hear the life lessons related to something so hands-on.

Jennifer said...

I really liked the first three books you were talking about too! In fact, I am asking for S is for Sunflower and the cookies book for Christmas. I also just check out the cookies book to show my roommates. Did you notice how the animals were dressed and acted like people. My roommates and I found it kind of odd.

Lisa Davis Photography said...

Some of the books you mentioned are some of my favorites too!! S is for Sunflower and Clementine are wonderful! They are books that I will definitely have in my classroom library and will possibly use to teach future lessons!

kari g. said...

Wow your blog page looks great - good job! Can I pay you to do mine and figure out how all this works?
I saw that your zodiac year is the year of the tiger- very interesting. I was born in the Chinese year of the goat, so what does that make me?