Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A piece of my "life story"

Home for Christmas
When the year was nineteen ninety eight,
I prayed and prayed he wouldn't be late.
For my daddy was away
Gone since the month of May.
For his arrival, I could hardly wait.
Daddy was an Air Force man
Destined to defend our land.
He did as he was told.
I always thought him bold.
Even when stationed in the sand.
Christmas time was swiftly approaching.
All my time I spent hoping,
That a miracle would come my way
And Daddy would be home for Christmas Day.
I soon learned there would be no celebrating.
Dad soon called and let us know
That the Air Force would not let him go.
He would have to stay away
Leaving us alone on the Blessed Day.
Then, the military became my foe.
Sad beyond belief,
I could not let go of my grief.
I just could not understand,
All I wanted was my Air Force man.
Eventually, I was given relief.
It seemed that plans had changed.
Departures had been rearranged.
Daddy was waiting at the base,
And I couldn't wait to see his face.
The excitement made me deranged.
Upon seeing him again,
I hugged and kissed the man.
My daddy was finally home,
Allowed to rest, no more to roam.
I could not let go of his hand.
Prayers had been answered.
Even though hoping had made me tired
But Daddy was home on Christmas,
Just as glad to celebrate with us.
I learned that God had always cared.
True, Daddy was an Air Force man,
Destined to protect our land.
But on Christmas in nineteen ninety eight,
Simply being my Daddy was his fate.
I always be his biggest fan.

No comments: